Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Library News!

Hello Eagles.  I hope your fall semester was wonderful!  I had a great fall- Mrs. Vetter joined Team Library in September, and then we had our Reading Oasis Book Fair.  We had record breaking profits, and earned almost $1,400!  It was a big week for me- I was about ready to have a baby (you can probably tell that from the photo!)

Sure enough, shortly after, Harper Belle was born! I had a wonderful time at home with her and was so happy to know my library was in good hands with Mrs. Vetter.  It's not easy to go to work every day without her, but I love my job, and coming back to the students and staff I missed so much made it much easier.

I am now back in the library and hit the ground running.  Already we have finished our Texas Bluebonnet Award voting, and had a fun voting party on January 31st for 125 3rd-5th graders.  That's almost every student in the 3rd, 4th and 5th grades participating! At our school, the winner was Wonder by RJ Palacio.  The statewide winner will be announced next Wednesday!

Earlier this week, 50 lucky Forest North readers, chosen from a random drawing, got to go to the brand new Round Rock Sports Center to hear R.J. Palacio, the author of Wonder, speak to us. What fun to have a library sponsored field trip & a great culmination of our yearlong initiative for this amazing book. It was a wonderful experience that reminded us all why we need to "choose kind," as the book teaches, and a great start to "Choose Kind" week here at FNE.

To kick off our Kindness Week, everyone on campus started this week by wearing blue - just like our special book Wonder.  Yesterday, we wore our pajamas as we dreamed of friendship, and today, everyone is wearing the same outfit as a friend for Twin Day!  I am dressed to match Mrs. Lajaunie!

I am currently in the middle of lots of projects, as always! The Armadillo Readers Choice Voting Parties with Kindergarten, 1st grade and 2nd grade are underway, the 2nd grade Rainbow Reading Challenge finale party is on 2/21, and I am starting book clubs with many grade levels. The VIP Bluebonnet breakfast, for students who read 10+ books in 3rd grade, or 15+ books in 14th or 5th grade, is on 2/21. The FNE Battle of the Bluebonnets is 2/25, and our RRISD Battle (where we will hopefully bring the traveling trophy back home!) is 3/20.

Many classes are coming in daily to get lessons - today I've already taught about coins to Kindergarten, homophones to third grade, technology then & now to 2nd grade (I love showing them old phones & computers!) and the Itsy Bitsy Spider to PreK.  Just another day in the library.  Thanks for welcoming me back with open arms, Eagles!  I missed you!

No comments: